Friday, December 9, 2016

Cox Food Hall (Revised)

aIt was 12:45 pm on a Tuesday and I had 10 minutes to grab a bite before my class at 1. I ran down the steps to Cox Food Hall, pushing past the crowd and through the glass doors, staring at the number of people before me.  I remember thinking to myself, 'there is no way I'm going to make it to class on time'. Quickly scanning the room, I adsorbed the various cuisines surrounding me. Indian, Mexican, Italian, Asian - I knew I wanted Asian. 


I worked my way through the sea of people and up to the asian counter, Maru. There was no clear definition of where the line for Maru ended and the line for the next vendor began. I slyly joined a random part of the line hoping no one around me would notice. To my surprise, the line moved quite quickly, making me wait less than 5 minutes for the 10 people in front of me.

When I got to the counter I was immeadiatley consumed by the numerous options, white rice, brown rice, teriyaki chicken, ginger chicken, beef, tofu - the works. There was an option for the customer to choose between white rice and brown rice for their bowl. I decided to go with white rice and top it off with stir fried vegetables and kimchi. Because of my indecisiveness I ended up hboth teriyaki and ginger chicken as my meat choices, drizzled with teriyaki sauce. The woman graciously smiled as she handed me my bowl and a pair of chopsticks, and I thanked her and wished her well for the remainder of her day.

I headed to the counter to pay for my meal. While in the line I was able to full absorb the beauty of Cox Food Hall. The large glass windows let in healthy amounts of natural lighting. The ceiling supports dangling decorations that add color to the room. The layout of centered tables surrounded by vendors on all sides resembles the layout of a mall food court. I checked my watch, 4 minutes till my class started. At last, it was my turn to pay, the lady grumpily greeted me and asked my if I was paying with Dooley Dollars. I responded with Dooley and struggled to swipe my card as I was in a hurry. Once the payment went through I thanked the lady who grouchily responded to my gratitude with, “Next!” 

Judging by the crowd at Cox Food Hall, I am not alone in saying it was definitely worth going back for, the food was satisfying and catered to my Asian food cravings. So much so, that I, along with other freshman, have already finished my Dooley Dollars. When talking to first year, Victoria Murra, it came to my attention that another reason Cox Food Hall is so popular on campus, is because of the wide variety of cuisines. When asked why she enjoys Cox Food Hall, Victoria Murra responded with, “What’s not to like? I’ve finally found some edible food on this campus!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment