Friday, September 2, 2016

Personal Food Essay

English 101 - Food, Feelings and Film
Manishka Daryanani
02/09/2016

Head still in my cubby, I quickly unzipped my lunchbox and deeply inhaled, trying to decipher what the meal I had been anxiously anticipating was. One whiff was enough to have me up and eagerly running towards the cafeteria. My mum had cooked my favorite, Sai Bhaji, an Indian curry made of lentils and spinach, and I was more ready to fill what felt like a hole in my belly. 

My classmates lined up by the door, waiting for the teacher to signal it was time to leave for the cafeteria. I followed close behind, trying to be cautious as I skipped up the stairs. The excitement that had been building up within me disappeared as soon as I got a glimpse of the cafeteria. My right hand clutched my lunch box tight, as I scanned the room searching for a place to sit. Crowded was an understatement, especially for a lonely third grader in her first week of school. What seemed like a sea of people was divided evenly by  the line for food. To the left of me people rummaged through their pockets, trying to quickly find their lunch money before they reach the counter. On my right, people shoveled past the crowd trying to reheat their home-packed meals. I followed my classmates to the microwaves, patiently waiting my turn and trying to identify the various aromas that filled the area around us. The Chinese girl in front of me pulled off the lid of her container, allowing me to quickly spot what appeared to be her delicious fried rice. Another girl removed her spaghetti from the microwave making way for me to put my lunch in. 

I clasped onto the rim of my container, rushing to find a seat before my fingertips burnt from the heat. From the corner of my eye I was able to spot some of the girls from my class. I anxiously walked towards them hoping they would have room for one more. To my dismay the girls welcomed me with warm smiles and waves, pulling up an extra chair. I laid out my food neatly in the place before me, watching as the girls simultaneously raised their sandwiches to their mouths. 
“Mines peanut butter and jelly!” I heard on of them announce. 
“Me too!” Some of the others chorused.

I flipped the seal of my lunchbox and deeply inhaled as flavorful smoke escaped the container. I excitedly grabbed my spoon and shoveled my first bite, sighing with satisfaction. I looked above me grinning widely as I scooped up my next bite. One of the  girls asked, “What is that your eating?” with a look of disgust on her face. Another followed “It looks like diarrhea” as she scrunched her nose and turned away. I turned away with shame as a tear trickled down my face.  I knew what I had to do. 

“I have no idea what this is, it’s disgusting!” I screamed as I stood up and walked towards the bin. I turned back and watch the girls as they whispered with relief. I knew If I didn’t chuck this out I wouldn’t be invited to sit with them again. Hovering over the bin I shook out my container, dumping its contents for good. I stormed back to the table, trying to put on a calm front, remaining quiet and hungry for the rest of lunch.

“How was school?” My mum eagerly questioned as I walked through the front door. The look of happiness on her face sent me running straight to my room in tears. She had tried to embarrass me today, she obviously didn’t want me to have friends. Mum walked into my room as I searched my bed for more pillows to burry myself under. 

“What happened to you?” She questioned as she tried to remove the pillows off of me.
“You know what happened!” I screamed back. “You did this on purpose, you gave me Sai Bhaji for lunch! How could you do that?” I sniffled pushing her hands off of me. She wiped my tears away and explained to me that she was only trying to give me my favorite food for lunch, not stop me from making friends. “If you really want I’ll make you a sandwich for lunch tomorrow, but you shouldn’t be embarrassed of being you, Sai Bhaji is YOUR favorite food!” She tried to convince me. Deep down I knew she was right. 


I stared at the clock, waiting, watching as the hands struck 12. It was finally lunch time, and I was having my favorite, Sai Bhaji. 

No comments:

Post a Comment