Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Buzzfeed Food Videos

The two Buzzfeed videos I decided to watch were "Chinese People Try Panda Express for the First Time" and "Mexican People Try Taco Bell for the First Time". It was really easy for me to relate to "Chinese People Try Panda Express for the First Time" as coming from Hong Kong, a place where Chinese food is authentic and local,  trying Panda Express for the first time was a similar experience to those in the video.

When trying Panda Express for the first time, I vividly remember criticizing the food, concluding that It wasn't Chinese at all. For starters, as they mentioned in the video, there are no egg rolls in Chinese cuisine. I also remember pointing out Chinese food doesn't have peas in it, like their fried rice did.

I feel the different feedback on Panda express related with each individuals backgrounds. I noticed that some of the American born Chinese felt that the food wasn't bad, while the elderly Chinese admitted that some of these foods did not exist in their cuisines. To my surprise the elderly Chinese, did think some of the food, such as the Lo Mein and the Hot and Sour soup, tasted authentic. 

 I agree with what the elderly Chinese concluded in the video that while Panda Express is good, but it isn't Chinese food. 


I personally have never tried Taco Bell, but I can imagine being that it is a fast food version of Mexican food it wouldn't be that authentic. I was able to relate to the reactions of the people in the video who were trying Americanised versions of their  cultures food and being disappointed at how unauthentic the food tastes, and then realising this is what some Americans actually think Mexican food is. I too experienced this disappointment when trying Panda Express and realizing that some people actually thought this was Chinese food.

1 comment:

  1. Good content! There are a few grammatical errors, so just be sure to carefully edit/read over your posts in the future.

    Grade: Check

    ReplyDelete