Monday, November 28, 2016

Blog Post Reflection

Looking back at all the blog posts we have written throughout the semester, one thats stands out to me in particular is my post titled, "Gai Daan Jai". It was one of my favorite pieces to write because of the freedom we were given to choose a food/dish we cared about and able to use it as the basis of our emulation of Lily Wong's, "Eating the Hyphen".  While looking back at the piece I think I did a pretty good job of grabbing the audiences attention from the very first line by opening with, "One does not go about their day in the city of Hong Kong without coming across some Gai Daan Jai." The sentence is both attention grabbing and gives the reader insight as to what the rest of the piece will be about.

Another thing I feel I did well on was having good imagery and descriptions, which can be seen in phrases such as, "watching as buttery clouds escape from the gap between the two hot plates" and "follow by tiptoeing over the edge of the stall trying to eye the perfectly golden brown semi-spheres."

One thing I could improve on is small gramatical errors I made throughout the piece. For example I say, "Those three little words is what gets me every time, because thats the best way to have them, fresh off the hot griddle." where It makes more gramatical sense to say, "Those three little words are what get me every time, thats the best way to have them, fresh off the hot griddle."

Another thing I would improve in this post is that in Lily Wong's "Eating the Hyphen", Wong makes use of dictionary definitions and listing, which are tools I should have more explicitly included in my emulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment